LISTSERV MEMBER FAQS
ListSERV Member FAQs
How do I subscribe to a mailing list?
You can subscribe to a mailing list via the web or email: send an email to “email@example.com” list where listname is the name of the mailing list you want to join). View the entire list here: http://list.ncttrac.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo
Alternatively, using the web, visit the list information page and click on the mailing list you would like to subscribe to. You will then be presented with a subscription form where you can enter your email address, your name, and specify whether you would like to receive emails from the list one by one as they are sent to the list, or as a digest (a batch of messages, usually sent once per day).
Once you have initiated a subscription to a mailing list via one of the above methods, you will receive a confirmation email which you will have to reply to in order to complete your subscription. This insures that the email address you have attempted to subscribe to the mailing list is a valid and reachable email address.
How do I unsubscribe from a mailing list?
Send an email (originating from the email address which you want to unsubscribe) to firstname.lastname@example.org (where listname is the name of the mailing list you want to unsubscribe from). You will have to reply to a confirmation email in order to verify that you do want to unsubscribe (this keeps others from forging your email address and unsubscribing you from a mailing list with out your knowledge).
You can also unsubscribe via the web:
– Go to the list information page, and click on the mailing list you’d like to unsubscribe from.
– Click the “unsubscribe or edit options” button at the bottom of the mailing list’s info page.
– Login using the email address you would like to unsubscribe, and the password for your subscription (see the question about passwords for more information).
– Check the “Yes, I really want to unsubscribe” check box, and click the “Unsubscribe” button to immediately be unsubscribed. Note that if you have elected to receive emails from this list in digest form, you may receive one more digest after you have unsubscribed from the list.
If you need to unsubscribe an email address which you no longer have access to (such as an email address with a previous employer) please call 817-607-7055 or email email@example.com.
What are these subscription passwords and how do I find out what mine is?
There is a password associated with each mailing list you are subscribed to, in order to keep others from modifying your mailing list options. If you are subscribed to two mailing lists, you technically have two passwords (although they can be the same if you like).
You only need your mailing list subscription password when unsubscribing from a mailing list via the web, or if you want to change your options (such as whether to temporarily stop receiving email sent to the mailing list, or whether to receive email from the list in a daily batch instead of individual messages).
To have your password for a particular mailing list emailed to you, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (where listname is the name of the list for which you want your subscription password) and put the word password in the body of the email – your password for that mailing list will be emailed to your subscribed email address.
You can also have your password emailed to you by using the web interface:
– Go to the list information page, and click on the mailing list for which you’d like to get your password.
– At the bottom of the page, enter your email address and click the “unsubscribe or edit options” button.
– Under the “Forgotten Your Password?” heading, click the “Email My password To Me” button.
How can I change my subscription password?
Please do not use a password which you use for other services, such as your DU pass code, because it is possible for some mailing lists to be configured to send (unencrypted) monthly password reminders to list subscribers.
Send an email to email@example.com (where listname is the name of the list for which you want to change your subscription password) and include the following two lines in the message:
Replace the string with your current password, and with what you would like to use as your new password.
You can also use the web interface to change your password:
– Go to the list information page, and click on the mailing list for which you’d like to change your subscription password.
– At the bottom of the page, click the “Unsubscribe Or Edit Options” button.
– Login with your email address and current password
– Fill in both the “New password” and the “Again to confirm” fields with what you want your new password to be.
– If you click the “Change Globally” check box (below the “Change My Password” button) you can change your password associated with all list.ncttrac.org mailing lists which your email address is currently subscribed to.
– Click the “Change My Password” button
How can I find out which list.ncttrac.org mailing lists my email address is subscribed to?
– Go to the list information page, and click on a mailing list which you know you are subscribed to.
– Click the “unsubscribe or edit options” button at the bottom of the mailing list’s info page.
– Login using your email address and password. IF you don’t know your subscription password, see the question about passwords.
– Click on the “List my other subscriptions” button – you will be taken to a list of all mailing lists which your email address is subscribed to.
I am not able to post a message to a mailing list, which I used to be able to post to, what happened?
There are two common reasons why a subscriber to a mailing list can no longer post a message to that list:
– The subscriber is no longer sending email to the list from the same email address, so the posting to the list is being rejected or held for approval (moderation). This most commonly happens when an @list.ncttrac.org email address is subscribed to a mailing list, and the subscriber forwards their @list.ncttrac.org address to another email account such as gmail. When emailing the list, the email originates from the gmail address, instead of the list.ncttrac.org address. To fix this, see the FAQ entry: How can I change the email address which is subscribed to one or all list.ncttrac.org mailing lists?
– The administrator of the mailing list has changed the setings of the list, to hold postings for approval, or to disallow postings from anyone other than specific individuals (such as with an announcement-only mailing list). You can email the administrator of a mailing list, by sending email to ListName.
How can I change the email address which is subscribed to one or all list.ncttrac.org mailing lists?
If you have changed email addresses, such as using firstname.lastname@example.org instead of email@example.com, you can change your subscription email address without having to unsubscribe the old address and then subscribe your new address. You can also make this change globally, for all list.ncttrac.org mailing lists.
– Go to the list information page and click on the mailing list for which you’d like to change your subscribed email address. If you want to change your subscribed email address for all list.ncttrac.org mailing lists, click on one of the mailing lists which you know you are subscribed to.
– Click the “Unsubscribe or Edit Options” button at the bottom of the page.
– Login using your email address and subscription password.
– Enter your new email address in both the “New address” and “Again to Confirm” fields.
– Optionally you may enter your name in the “Your name” box.
– If you would like this change to take effect for all list.ncttrac.org mailing lists which your old email address is subscribed to, check the “Change Globally” check box.
– Click the “Change My Address and Name” button.
– You will receive an email at your new email address which you will need to reply to in order to confirm that you want the change of address to take place. Remember when replying to the confirmation email, that your “from” address must be your new email address.
How can I subscribe two email addresses to a mailing list so I can post to that list from both addresses, but only receive messages from that list on one of the addresses?
– Subscribe both email addresses to the list as normal.
– Go to the list information page and click on the mailing list in question.
– Login using the email address and password from which you do not want to receive messages from this mailing list.
– Click on the “subscription options” category and set the “mail delivery” option to “disabled”.
Alternatively you can send an email, from the email address at which you do not want to receive emails from the mailing list, to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the following three lines in the message:
– set authenticate set delivery off
Replace the string with your actual password for your subscription to the mailing list for which you want to suspend delivery.
Remember that each subscription to a mailing list has it’s own password, so if you have two email addresses subscribed to the same mailing list, it is possible for each subscription to have a separate password. If you do not know your mailing list password, see the question on passwords.
When reading email using MS Outlook, emails to my list appear to come from ListNameemail@example.com instead of my email address - why?
Microsoft Outlook’s rendition of the From: header also includes other information from the sender envelope header, mainly:
When an e-mail cannot be delivered, it is e-mailed back to the e-mail address contained in the return path. For mailman mailing lists, this return address is MyListNamefirstname.lastname@example.org. Emails delivered to the -bounces address on the Mailman server are analyzed with the objective of taking steps to disable distribution to that subscriber, if e-mail to them exceeds bounce limits set by the list administrator.
Each month I receive an email with the subject list.ncttrac.org mailing list memberships reminder - what is this?
If a mailing list administrator turns on the option to send out monthly password reminders to list subscribers, you (as a list subscriber) will receive an email containing your subscription password(s) for those mailing lists. Please note that this monthly email only contains information about mailing lists for which monthly password reminders are enabled – not for all mailing lists you are subscribed to.
To stop receiving these monthly reminders, you can appeal to the administrator of the mailing list in question (send an email to ListNameemail@example.com to reach a mailing list’s administrator) to disable monthly password reminders.